Dr. Gregory Scott Brown
Psychiatrist, Mental Health Writer, Author
Learn about Dr. Brown's story.
Gregory Scott Brown, M.D., is an Austin-based board-certified psychiatrist, a contributing columnist for Men's Health, and an affiliate faculty member at the University of Texas Dell Medical School. His first book, The Self-Healing Mind: An Essential Five-Step Practice for Overcoming Anxiety and Depression, and Revitalizing Your Life was published in June 2022 for Harper Wave. Dr. Brown believes we can work together to fight mental health stigma by having open and honest conversations about mental health. He is an advocate for evidence-based integrative care that includes incorporating exercise, mindfulness, meditation, and nutrition with standard-of-care treatments for mental illness.
Dr. Brown is a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He completed a fellowship in integrative medicine at the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine, specialty training in general psychiatry at the University of Texas Dell Medical School, and received an M.D. from the McGovern Medical School in Houston. Dr. Brown is an alumnus of Rice University, where he received a bachelor's degree in anthropology, and Johns Hopkins University, where he completed a post-baccalaureate premedical program. Prior to his transition to medicine, Dr. Brown studied music at The Juilliard School in New York.
During his time in residency, Dr. Brown was awarded a SAMHSA Minority Fellowship by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and he was later appointed to and currently serves on the APA's Council on Communications.
Follow Dr. Brown on social media @gregorysbrownmd.
Education and Training
- Board Certification: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Texas Medical License
- New York State Medical License
- Fellowship in Integrative Health and Medicine: Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM)
- General & Adult Psychiatry: The University of Texas Dell Medical School (Including 4th Year Adolescent Psychiatry Track)
- Doctor of Medicine: McGovern Medical School at the University of Texas Health Science Center Houston
- Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program: Johns Hopkins University
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology: Rice University (Cum Laude)