Dr. Gregory Scott Brown
Psychiatrist, Mental Health Writer, Author
Learn about Dr. Brown's story.
Dr. Gregory Scott Brown, M.D., is a board-certified psychiatrist, mental health writer, and author. He is an affiliate faculty member at the University of Texas Dell Medical School. He believes we can work together to fight mental health stigma by having open and honest conversations about mental health. Dr. Brown is an advocate for evidence-based integrative care that includes incorporating exercise, mindfulness, meditation, and nutrition with standard of care treatments for mental illness.
Dr. Brown is a diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. He completed a fellowship in integrative medicine at the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine, specialty training in general psychiatry at the University of Texas Dell Medical School, and received an M.D. from the McGovern Medical School in Houston. Dr. Brown is an alumnus of Rice University, where he received a bachelor's degree in anthropology, and Johns Hopkins University, where he completed a post-baccalaureate premedical program. Prior to his transition to medicine, Dr. Brown studied music at The Juilliard School in New York.
During his time in residency, Dr. Brown was awarded a SAMHSA Minority Fellowship by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and he was later appointment to and currently serves on the APA's Council on Communications .
Dr. Brown believes in the therapeutic value of yoga, and he often writes and speaks about its benefits for mental health prevention and treatment. Dr. Brown resides in the Houston area with his wife and their rescue dog, Kai.
Education and Training
- Board Certification: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Full Medical License: Texas Medical Board
- Fellowship in Integrative Health and Medicine: Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM)
- General & Adult Psychiatry: The University of Texas Dell Medical School (Including 4th Year Adolescent Psychiatry Track)
- Doctor of Medicine: McGovern Medical School at the University of Texas Health Science Center Houston
- Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program: Johns Hopkins University
- Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology: Rice University (Cum Laude)